Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) is a traditional Ayurvedic herb that has been used for centuries in India for its potential nootropic benefits.
Shankhpushpi is considered a Medhya Rasayana, which means that it is believed to improve brain function, enhance memory, and boost cognitive performance.
Grown exclusively in Asia, this beautiful flower is also integrated into Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Let’s delve into the top benefits but then add some caution to the discussion.
1. Memory Enhancement:
Recent studies have investigated the potential memory enhancement effects of Shankhpushpi and have reported the following:
1. Boosts Acetylcholine activity: Like Bacopa monnieri (a major ingredient in Nooflow Absolute Mind), Shankhpushpi has been shown to enhance the activity of acetylcholine, a nevurotransmitter that plays a key role in memory and learning.
2. Reduces oxidative damage: Shankhpushpi has potent antioxidant properties that help protect neurons from oxidative damage, which can lead to memory impairment.
3. Improves blood flow to the brain: Improved blood flow to the brain enhances the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the brain cells, which can improve memory and cognitive function.
4. Potent nerve growth factor (NGF) enhancer: Shankhpushpi has been shown to increase the synthesis of NGF, a protein vital for the survival and maintenance of nerve cells and a key component of memory retention.
Overall, Shankhpushpi appears to have significant potential as a natural memory enhancer. However, it should be used with caution and under the guidance of a healthcare professional, especially if you are taking any medications or have any underlying health conditions.
2. Anti-stress Effects:
Shankhpushpi has been shown to have anti-stress effects by reducing the levels of cortisol, a stress hormone that can impair cognitive function.
One of Shankhpushpi’s primary benefits is its anti-stress effects. Here’s how Shankhpushpi can help in reducing stress:
1. Reduce cortisol levels: High cortisol levels can increase stress levels, which can lead to several negative impacts on the body, including cognitive problems. Shankhpushpi has been shown to significantly reduce cortisol levels, thereby reducing stress levels.
2. Reduce stress: Shankhpushpi has a calming effect on the brain and has been shown to alleviate stress. This effect is thought to be due to its ability to increase the levels of GABA, a neurotransmitter responsible for reducing brain activity and promoting relaxation.
3. Enhance antioxidant activities: Shankhpushpi has potent antioxidant properties that can help protect the brain against oxidative stress and cellular damage, which is a common cause of mental stress.
4. Enhance cognitive function: Stress has a detrimental effect on cognitive function, so reducing stress levels can improve cognitive performance. Shankhpushpi has been shown to enhance cognitive function, including memory and learning.
5. Promote restful sleep: Shankhpushpi has also been shown to promote restful sleep, reducing stress and anxiety levels and preventing cognitive problems.
Overall, Shankhpushpi appears to have significant potential as a natural anti-stress remedy that can help alleviate symptoms of stress, anxiety, and cognitive problems. However, as with any natural remedy, it should be used with caution, and under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
3. Neuroprotective Effects:
Shankhpushpi has been shown to have neuroprotective effects by protecting the brain cells from oxidative damage and improving blood flow to the brain.
Here are some potential neuroprotective benefits of Shankhpushpi:
1. Anti-inflammatory effects: Inflammation in the brain can result in the production of harmful free radicals, leading to neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and other cognitive disorders. Shankhpushpi has been shown to have potent anti-inflammatory effects, which can help protect the brain from damage.
2. Antioxidant properties: Shankhpushpi is rich in antioxidants that can act as free radical scavengers, protecting the brain from oxidative stress.
3. Improvement in neuron function: Shankhpushpi may stimulate the growth of neurons, leading to the development of new brain cells. It can also enhance nerve transmission and might reduce the damage associated with neuron death.
4. Prevention of Neurodegenerative Diseases: The neuroprotective effects of Shankhpushpi may contribute to the prevention of neurodegenerative diseases by preserving neuronal structures and maintaining brain function.
5. Reduction in cognitive decline: Shankhpushpi can also help slow down cognitive decline that comes with age by improving memory and cognitive function.
In summary, Shankhpushpi appears to have potential neuroprotective properties that can help protect the brain from damage caused by oxidative stress and inflammation, prevent neurodegenerative diseases, and reduce cognitive decline associated with age. More scientific studies are required to confirm these effects and determine the appropriate dosage.
4. Anti-inflammatory Effects:
Shankhpushpi has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects, which can improve cognitive function by reducing inflammation in the brain.
1. Reduce inflammation: Shankhpushpi has been shown to reduce inflammation by inhibiting the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and reactive oxygen species (ROS) that lead to chronic inflammation.
2. Protects the brain: Inflammation in the brain can damage neurons and is linked to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and multiple sclerosis. Shankhpushpi has a natural ability to fight inflammation, which can help protect the brain from damage.
3. Reduce pain: Shankhpushpi can help reduce pain and discomfort caused by inflammation. It can help in alleviating joint pain, headaches, and other body pains.
4. Anti-disease effects: Inflammation is linked to the development of diseases. Shankhpushpi has been shown to have anti-disease effects and can prevent the proliferation of rogue cells by reducing inflammation.
5. Boosts the immune system: Inflammation can affect the immune response of the body. Shankhpushpi can help boost the immune system, making it more potent and equipped to fight infections and diseases.
In summary, Shankhpushpi has potential anti-inflammatory effects that can help reduce inflammation and alleviate its associated symptoms and reduce the risk of diseases. Its anti-inflammatory properties may also help to improve brain health, boost the immune system and guard against certain diseases.
Why you might want to research more about Shankhpushpi
As an herbal supplement for cognitive enhancement and overall brain health, Shankhpushpi definitely has a lot to offer to the nootropics users. It has been traditionally used in Ayurveda to improve memory, learning, and cognition, and has recently gained popularity due to its potential nootropic effects.
Studies suggest that Shankhpushpi can help boost acetylcholine activity, reduce oxidative damage, reduce anxiety, and promote restful sleep, thereby supporting healthy brain function. Moreover, Shankhpushpi is known for its anti-inflammatory effects, boosts the immune system, can help reduce inflammation and pain and protect the brain from damage.
Shankhpushpi is an all-natural plant-based supplement, making it an attractive option for nootropics users looking for a natural approach to cognitive enhancement. Its various potential cognitive benefits such as memory enhancement, improved learning, and reduced anxiety make it a promising candidate for those looking for a cognitive edge.
Additionally, some studies suggest that Shankhpushpi may have neuroprotective effects, which could help prevent and mitigate the damage of neurodegenerative conditions.
Hence, Shankhpushpi might improve overall brain health, enhance cognitive function and improve overall well-being, making it a potent tool, especially for those seeking a natural alternative to traditional medication.
Although Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) is a natural herb with various potential health benefits, a few important precautions should be taken before adding it to one’s supplement regimen.
Here are some reasons to be cautious about taking Shankhpushpi:
1. Lack of adequate research:
Despite its use in Ayurvedic medicine, there is not yet enough scientific research conducted on Shankhpushpi’s long-term safety and efficacy.
Shankhpushpi may cause imbalances in the digestive tract if taken in large doses. Hence it is important to stick to the recommended dosage.
3. Potential side effects:
Though generally safe, some users have reported experiencing adverse effects like stomach upset, headache, and dizziness, making it important to monitor the body’s reaction to its use.
4. Interaction with medications:
Shankhpushpi may interact with certain medications, so it is imperative to consult with a healthcare professional before taking it alongside your other medications.
5. Pregnancy and breastfeeding:
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid Shankhpushpi use since its safety is not established during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
As is always the case, it is essential to consult your healthcare provider before consuming Shankhpushpi supplements.
Overall, Shankhpushpi appears to have potential nootropic benefits by improving memory, reducing anxiety, protecting brain cells, and reducing inflammation.
That said, more research is needed to fully understand its mechanism of action and potential side effects.
In conclusion, while Shankhpushpi may provide benefits, it’s important to be cautious about its usage and consult with a medical professional before adding it to any supplement regimen. Moreover, individuals with pre-existing medical conditions, and even healthy adults, should always speak with their healthcare provider before starting on any nootropic supplement, including Shankhpushpi, as it may have potential interactions with other medications.